In Balluta Bay, this church was built by the brotherhood of Carmen in 1858. Years later, the chapel was entrusted to the Carmelites, who built a convent. A new church, the present one, began to be built in 1958 in pseudo Gothic style while the previous church was still in use. It was completed in 1978. The statue of the Virgin was brought from Naples. It's very nice, especially the dome from the outside.
Legend has it that the Maltese, who are an extremely Catholic people, were often confused by the devil and never knew what time mass was at, put two clocks on the front of the church. One with the real time and the other with a fictional time meaning that whenever people passed they never know which time was correct. Normally this superstition was more in villages rather than in cities, but the truth is that there really are two clocks on almost all religious temples.